For folks who are newer to meditation here are a few more tips to help you along:
- Find a comfortable place to sit on the floor or on a chair.
- Make sure you won’t be disturbed: close the door to where you are sitting and turn off your phone's ringer.
- Set a timer so you do not have to constantly open your eyes to see if you are done.
- Use props under your bum as needed to help you sit up tall. It’s important that you are not lying down or slouching as you might fall sleep.
- Let your hands rest naturally and comfortably in your lap, on your knees, or on top of each other.
- Close your eyes and focus on your breath, letting your breath rhythm become smooth, steady and natural.
- When a thought comes, acknowledge the thought, let it pass, and go back to focusing on your breath.