Monday, July 15, 2013

Book Review: May I Be Happy

I had a hard time connecting with this book at first - there was so much negative self talk. I was noticing that my buttons were really being pushed by the phrase, "I'm so fat." I remember saying that all the time in high school and I worked really hard in college and afterward to let go of that saying and that habit of negative thinking.

I came to realize as I read on that Cindy Lee was experiencing the same thing but for her, the negativity went on for years and years. Maybe that is why it was so hard to read at first. I just wanted her to have gotten over it already. But the more I read, the more authentic the book felt to me and the more I empathized with Lee as a person.

I enjoyed reading excerpts of Ms. Lee's classes. I like her style and the way she passes on the knowledge of Buddhism and Yoga. I think I would enjoy being a student in her class. It was interesting to read how compassionate she is with her students but how unforgiving she was with herself.

The point of the book is her journey toward compassion and self love. And it seems that she has been able to arrive in a much more positive place. I am happy for her that she was able to realize that it was her mind that needed changing, not her body.

Read more on amazon.com.