Monday, July 23, 2012

Book Review: Yoga Cures

Yoga Cures, by Tara Stiles, offers up advice for a multitude of problems ranging from PMS to diabetes to jiggly thighs. The routines are simple and easy to follow by using the pictures and descriptions in the book.

She has a very conversational style of writing which I came to appreciate. She makes yoga accessible to all people.

At times though, I felt she was a bit too informal, even a bit flip. For example, in writing about diabetes Ms. Stiles says, "The yoga cure for diabetes is first to prevent getting this sickness by keeping a regular practice and healthy lifestyle."

This feels like a judgement to me. Not all people develop diabetes due to an unhealthy lifestyle.

Also, I would have liked to read the science behind each pose. I wanted to know why she chose what she chose for each problem. She does give an overview, sharing her reasoning, but I guess I would've liked something more in depth.

That said, this is still a worthwhile book. I came away from it knowing a few new poses to introduce to my students and I do appreciate the down-to-earth approach of Ms. Stiles.