Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Leading a Restorative Class - Part 1

Getting ready
Picking your Poses, Setting up Your Stations, and Figuring out Your Timing Before Class Starts
  • I like to offer 5 stations of 4 spots each (can accommodate 20 in class). That means I have to pick 5 poses before class and develop a class flow plan/map. For example, I don't want to offer 3 heart center openers in a row. I want the class to be balanced.
  • I include a variety of postures: forward folds, twists, heart center openers, elevated legs, etc. There are definitely a few favorite poses which I include almost every time, but I also try to include something new.
  • Setting up all the stations can take 30-60 minutes depending on what poses you pick. The more props you need, the more time it will take to set up and break down.
  • Display examples of postures with instructions for people to look at before class. I have made an 8½ X 11 flier for each pose with a picture of the pose and text describing how to get into it and how to get out of it. I post it at the station for people to view before class.
  • Each pose is held around 6-8 minutes with 1-2 minutes allocated on each end of the pose for students to transfer to another station and get themselves set up. I encourage people to crawl from station to station (the stations are very close together) instead of standing up between poses. Folks think crawling is funny so it brings some lightness to the class.
  • Remember that you will have to let people know the ½ way time-point for twists and other poses where each side of the body needs to experience the pose (even if it is just a reminder to turn the head).
Read more on leading a class by clicking here.