Sunday, June 3, 2012

Day 3: 30 Day Meditation

I cheated myself out of 5 minutes of meditation this morning. I set my timer for 10 minutes so I could hurry up and get outside to enjoy the nice weather. It's interesting to see this in myself. I know I am desperate to be out outside when it is nice out. After being cold and dark for so long in Minnesota, now it is balmy, sunny, and beautiful. Still, when my timer went off after 10 minutes I did not want to stop meditating. But I did stop, and I did enjoy sitting outside with Dave, drinking our tea and coffee and watching the birds, bees, flowers and squirrels do their thing.

On a side note, yesterday we saw a bald eagle pounce on a fish about 30 feet off the dock we were sitting on. Two crows had been harassing the eagle, flying after it and trying to peck it in the air. We thought the crows were pushing the eagle down toward the water. The eagle began a free fall but at the last minute it spread its wings, dropped its "landing gear" (huge talons) and snared a fish which was close to the surface. It seemed to barely touch down. As soon as it got the fish, it flapped its wings and took off. The crows gave chase half-heartedly but the eagle ignored them and flew away. Apparently the eagle never cared about the crows in the first place. It was a magnificent scene and not one I would ever imagine seeing live, especially not 30 feet in front of me. I feel lucky.

Note: To read other accounts on the meditation experience visit the FB event page: 30 Days of Meditation.