Wednesday, February 9, 2011

40 Days of Relaxation - Day 11

Tuesday, Feb 8, 2011 - Day 11
I listened to Richard Miller's yoga nidra practice that comes with his book, The Meditative Heart of Yoga. I know he is one of the main yoga nidra practitioners and the developer of the "iRest" program (Integrative Restoration) but his style is very different from Robin Carnes. He doesn't use much imagery or body scans. He asks you to feel in your body and mind what it would be like and where would you feel it if you felt a certain way. For example, where do you feel guilt, shame, remorse? How does that make you feel? What would it be like if you did not feel those feelings? What is it like if you feel whole, healthy and happy? Things like that. It seemed like the whole practice was like that but who really knows? I could've been asleep for all I know. It was very soothing. I'll keep on trying his practice for a few more days to really get a feel for what his style is.

I did the practice included in the book around 6 pm - earlier than the night before when I listened right before bed. But both nights (Mon and Tues) I found myself dreaming, dreaming, dreaming - can't stop dreaming!

Monday night I dreamed that there were a bunch of programs on my computer and they were taking over my bandwidth and I couldn't get my work done (this is after adding Skype I should note).

Tuesday night I found myself dreaming about my hair. It was very long and I thought to myself, "Wow, my hair really does grow fast!" (People always tell me how fast my hair grows but I think it grows at a normal rate of 1/2 inch a month.) I have been thinking of getting a haircut and I guess it is a bit stressful for me. If I cut it, I have to keep getting it cut, or go through the whole process of growing it out again. If I don't cut it, I have plain old long hair - no style really - just pulled back in a bun or ponytail. It's a bit dull.

Also, I caught myself trying to clench my teeth overnight a few different times. I am very aware of this habit now and I have been catching myself both day and night trying to clench. It just feels so good. Dang it! Hopefully this awareness will bring change.

I just found a free practice by Richard Miller on line: http://www.irest.us/mp3/Yoga-Nidra-meditation.mp3. This practice seems a bit different than the one included in his book/CD. It's more of a body scan. Have a listen.